Skip to content

Birthday Survival

April 18, 2010

Well, Sweet Pea’s birthday party was set for Saturday at 2:00 pm.  I finished the cake at 1:45 pm.  Other than spending the party dusted with powdered sugar and a dollop or two of icing on my shoulder (don’t ask me how it got there- I’m a wild woman), all went well.

Here’s the final version:

And here’s a few more lovely princess that would not fit on the cake.  I would say their skirts were too fat for the cake, but who am I to judge?  I have my own issues…

The birthday party was a success.  No one got hurt.  And really, with over 12 kids (who can count when they are all moving that fast?!?), that’s all you can ask for.  Or maybe that’s just me…

And now for the play by play:

As people arrived, we just let the kids play.  After everyone who was coming got here, we hustled those kiddos into the living room for a rousing rendition of “Happy Birthday” and Sweet Pea blew out the candles with just a little help from her brother.  Little Buddy didn’t really understand it was not HIS birthday.  Sweet Pea only pouted a little bit.  Because, next on the list, was opening presents!!  The first present she opened was clothing.  With a very verbal “Yuck” she tossed it aside and went after another one.  What’s a mom to do?  I gave her the ‘ole stink eye and reminded her to say thank you.  Luckily, the clothing was from my mom and, well, she experienced raising me- so she understood…  The rest of the gift opening went smoothly and Sweet Pea was verbally and dramatically appreciative of every gift.  There was a lot of hugging of toys and “That’s just what I wanted!” with her thank you’s.  It was very entertaining.  Almost like seeing a real play…

After the presents, we did cake and ice cream.  And then there was miscellaneous playing.  After awhile, I called the kids back together and we did the pinata.  Now, I’m not too hip on the whole give a kid a stick and let him wack away at something while blind folded…  I’m usually the wackee… So we got the pull the string variety.  I had all the kids grab a string (yeah- not the way the directions read- but I am a maverick, thankyouverymuch) and on the count of three, everybody pulled.  Well, nothing happened.  So we all selected a second string and pulled.  And the little door flew open.  And nothing else happened.  Dum Dums and pinata’s don’t mix, evidently.  With all these little faces looking upward with so much longing, something had to be done.  So I waded into the child pool and shook it to make it rain candy.  There were no pictures…

Next, we made sun visors.  I bought the foam visors at Hobby Lobby and a few packs of foam stickers.  The more glittery the better.  They seemed to have a good time.  Then there was more playing.  At last, it was time for everyone to go home.  For party favors, we handed out kites tied with ribbon with a little note saying “Thank you for helping Sweet Pea celebrate her fifth birthday”.

It was a good day.  The end.

One Comment leave one →
  1. Peggy permalink
    April 18, 2010 1:39 pm

    See, I knew you could do it! You didn’t say exactly how long before first guest arrived and last left – bet you were ready for a rest. Also guess that Jane Anne wasn’t ready for a nap nor was Carl. Sounds like you had fun but this age is a little more challenging than 4th graders, right. Let the good times roll with your family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: